To me Hebrew was this special secret language saved for when you were praying to God, kind of like Yiddish which was a special secret language saved for when I was getting in trouble. Ironically now that I live in Jerusalem – when I hear Yiddish it still means that I am in trouble. But back to being 13 and chanting in Hebrew, I remember the pride in mastering Hebrew and… the disconnect.
on December 22, 2011
Stephen Weitzman is currently a member of the URJ North American Board and serves as Chair of the URJ Special Needs Camping Committee. In this blog he discusses some of the sessions at URJ Biennial and the future of special needs camping.
on November 9, 2011
Check out the Shabbat sermon given by Rabbi Josh Strom during Camp Shabbat at Shaaray Tefila NYC. He discusses how his summers at URJ Camp Harlam, where he first attended at the age of eight, helped to shape his future.
on July 30, 2011
How many of us have ever hugged a Torah? Last Sunday evening my daughter Sarah did. As part of the opening ceremonies at Camp Eisner, the Torah is passed around and every camper has an opportunity to hold it. The first picture I saw of Sarah this summer at camp was of her hugging the Torah. It nearly moved me to tears. I’m sure that in the moment she was so excited to be back at camp that the meaning of what she was doing was lost on her – but not lost forever. I know that feeling so well.
- Camp Heroes Support Gift of Life October 12, 2011
- 12 Ways to Make Shabbat Services at Your Congregation More Like Camp July 30, 2012
- The Football Rebellion and Striking the Right Balance at Camp June 5, 2012
- Beyond the music: Summer camp performers build Jewish community, identity February 25, 2013
- “Amazing Experiences That Words Cannot Explain” February 4, 2013
- The Makings of a Jewish Science Camp January 31, 2013
- Welcome Home, Camp and Israel Participants | Camp Coleman: [...] on October 4, 2012 By Lois Rubin, NFTY in ...
- From the URJ Camp & Israel Programs Blog: Thanks for your feedback, Jordan. The URJ Camp &am...
- Jordan Friedman: I am sure that many who frequent the Reform Jewish...
Read about your program
Follow us on Twitter
11 months ago