As a senior in high school, I have the opportunity to take a number of elective courses in addition to my core classes. One of these classes is a Contemporary Issues class, focused on educating high school students on discrimination and prejudice in order to form a more tolerant world. However, before we can really start understanding how to treat others, we need to understand ourselves. Therefore, the first part of the class focuses on identity. As part of this exploration, my classmates and I were assigned to write a “Where I’m From” poem, in which we express, in depth, an important part of our identity. While most of my classmates wrote about their hometown, I took a different route. I chose to write about GUCI.
on October 24, 2013
by Rabbi Mark Covitz Director One of the greatest successes of this past summer at Goldman Union Camp Institute is, very simply, that the summer was a great success. The challenges presented by the June 29th lightning strike were many, and were daunting. Of course, the most important challenge was securing the physical health and emotional well-being of all campers, staff, and faculty. Secondary to that, but also of great importance, was the challenge of ensuring that not only would the summer at GUCI continue, but that it would continue in a healthy, strong, normal way, allowing campers and staff […]
on August 5, 2013
While we tend to get very attached to our symbols and rituals, especially at camp, they are only representations of greater ideas and higher ideals. If the customs of our people do not positively impact the way we live, then we risk them becoming empty rituals.
on August 3, 2013
When I meet someone else that is Jewish, I immediately feel like I have a connection to them. There are so few Jewish people in the world that we get to feel such a strong connection even at the beginning of our friendships.
- Yom Sport Kallah Bet 2011! July 21, 2011
- Opening Day Kallah Aleph June 12, 2012
- A Holy Community July 1, 2013
- “Where I’m From” November 20, 2013
- Sukkot in December? Celebrate Life. Celebrate Music. Support Ethan. October 24, 2013
- “What do you do the rest of the year?” September 10, 2013
- Sarah Singer-Nourie: Thank you for what you bring every day, Jake, and ...
- Todd Davisson: I am both moved and so proud of the words these ca...
- Melissa Tonisson: I remember building the Machaneh Chaverim. I am s...
Countdown to Camp
- Kallah Bet at GUCI starts:
156 days, 7 hours, 20 minutes, 48 seconds ago
Follow us on Twitter
- RT @URJ: Our first plenary opens strong with @JulieAnnSilver & @RickRecht leading us in "Hinei Mah Tov." #Biennial13 is officially underway!
- We're off to #Biennial13! Will we see you there?
- RT @StonesaurusRex: I just put my Avodah application in the mail for my summer at @URJGUCI ! AHHHHHH!
- I just put my Avodah application in the mail for my summer at @URJGUCI ! AHHHHHH!