Rabbi Emil Fackenheim once wrote: “Jews are forbidden to hand Hitler posthumous victories, they are commanded to survive as Jews, lest the Jewish People perish.” After returning from Poland and learning about the Holocaust, I agree with Fackenheim’s quote now more than ever.
on April 8, 2014
I expected, simply, that EIE would be an 18 week long MAR event. In some regards, I was right—the community was welcoming and cohesive, the services were interesting, and the friendships that I made were long lasting and meaningful. There were also aspects of EIE that were unique to the program and were wonderful.
on April 3, 2014
We got on the buses by 7:30 and headed to Auschwitz Birkaneau. When we arrived the first thing I noticed was how the train tracks went right through the gate and divided the camp in half going all the way to the very end. The place is huge. WAY bigger than Maidanek.
on April 1, 2014
This morning we woke up at 1:15 to head to Ben Gurion airport in Tel Aviv. Today we begin our next adventure on EIE. We are all flying to Poland to learn more about the Holocaust and understand more about Jewish history. I have so many different emotions.
on March 27, 2014
The NFTY-EIE Spring 2014 semester is almost half way over! The campus has been abuzz since Tuesday with the visiting Parents’ Pilgrimage. We had more than 70 family members join us in Israel over the course of the past 10 days to take a peek into the world of EIE. And our students were eager to play tour guide.
on March 25, 2014
My Jewish History class has been studying alarmingly close to present day! We have zeroed in on Christianity and the birth of Islam. On our first day of studying Christianity, we took a field trip to the church of John the Baptist where St. John the Baptist is believed to have been born.
- A Typical Day of EIE February 5, 2013
- Shabbat as Pilgrims in Israel August 21, 2012
- The Tug of Judaism: A Birthright Bar Mitzvah August 28, 2012
- The Impact of Poland April 10, 2014
- How I Brought EIE Home April 8, 2014
- Our Pilgrimage to Poland: Part 2 April 3, 2014
- David Alon: I really enjoyed reading this, thanks so much for ...
- Paula Wilson: Jamie, I have never been to Israel, but know that...
- Karsten Bannier: I believe it's all about faith,Jamie...Judaism is...
- Want to visit Israel? @shorashim @NFTYEIE @mgamoran Come to Lakeside on 4-20. http://t.co/oeKHHEZe0c #whatisraeleducagtorsdo, #Israeled
- RT @nfty: We hope you had a great time at your Seders with family! Share your photos with us. #nftylovesmatzah #passover
- RT @NFTYIsrael: As you sit down tonight at your #seder & say "Next Year in Jerusalem" Help your family & friends go on @NFTYIsrael or @NFT…
- As you sit down tonight at your #seder & say "Next Year in Jerusalem" Help your family & friends go on @NFTYIsrael or @NFTYEIE this summer!