This summer, Camp Kalsman embarked on an ambitious journey. We were not traveling 40 years in a desert to arrive in the land of Milk and Honey, but as we took the first steps into our garden this spring, we knew we were beginning down a long road. Having grown and donated over 700 pounds of fresh produce last summer, we challenged the Kalsman community to donate 2 Tons Together. How? By growing, harvesting, and donating 1 ton of fresh food from our garden and orchard and by collecting 1 ton of dry and canned non-perishables on our opening and closing days of camp. Watch this video to learn more about our work to help eliminate hunger in the Pacific Northwest community:
So where are we today?
- We’ve collected approximately 350 pounds of non-perishable food to donate to Hopelink and Jewish Family Service in Seattle.
- Our campers and staff have harvested 71 pounds of produce from our garden and orchard including:
- 35.6 pounds of kale
- 6 pounds of lettuce
- 1 pound of radishes
- 6.8 pounds of chard
- 1 pound of fresh herbs
- .2 pounds of snow peas
- 6 pounds of summer squash
- 14.4 pounds of plums
- Campers and staff planted cucumbers, corn, winter squash, even more summer squash, green beans, soy beans, turnips, carrots, beats, parsnips, sweet potatoes, spinach, and tomatoes that will continue to be harvested throughout the summer and into the fall.
Although we are still a ways from reaching 2 tons of food, we are confident that with your help we will get there! We know that the Everett Food Bank will harvest the majority of fresh produce from our garden this fall after our campers and staff are already at home. Our garden is growing and our plants are loving the sunshine we’ve had this summer.
There are three things you can do to help us donate 1 Ton of non-perishable food:
1) Bring non-perishable food when you drop off or pick up your camper during the rest of Kallah Bet and Kallah Gimmel.
2) If you are not able to bring food with you, we will happily collect monetary donations and buy non-perishable items to add to the count. Not going to make it to an opening or closing day before the end of the summer but still want to help? Send a check with “Two Tons Together” in the memo line to our Bellevue office (3805 108th Ave NE Bellevue, WA 98004).
3) Share the link to this blog with your friends and family and encourage them to be a part of our project!
Help us reach Two Tons Together!