Just like those things, poverty is inherently wrong, and it ends when we become selfless enough to look beyond our own needs. Just like being locked in the bathroom, poverty is a kind of trap. Except your counselors aren’t on the other side of the door playing games with you, and it’s not so easy to get out in the end. It takes a community to break the door of poverty. It takes consistent help, it takes compassion.
on July 18, 2014
on July 6, 2014
y working with Green Roots, we were able to provide for people and help them to live the lives every human being both needs and deserves. And actually, being able to be a part of that process was the greatest feeling in the world.
on July 5, 2014
We have a truly incredible group of participants this year bringing a diverse array of interests and backgrounds. We can’t wait to see and facilitate all the growth that will continue to happen in the coming weeks.
on June 28, 2014
As we sat, silently in awe of her inspiring story, questions arose.Why did you do it? Why are you not still angry? Are you still fighting? The conversations that ensued led us to begin identifying what we take for granted, and what we are willing to fight for.
on June 26, 2014
By being here and learning about the city of New Orleans, we are making an impact. We are the people making a difference and making the city a better place. I cannot wait to see where the rest of this trip takes us for we will make such a big difference in as little as two weeks. We will learn so much more about the world, and, more importantly, ourselves.
on June 13, 2014
In this stormy world full of war and bigotry, there is an unexpected haven in the middle of the Lower 9th Ward where people come together amidst destruction to rebuild and grow. In the center of the eye of this vortex is an incredibly caring man named Mack, who taught us: “We can’t control disaster, but we can change the way we embrace it.”
on July 11, 2013
Baruch Atah Adonai, Eloheinu Melech ha’olam, asher kid’shanu b’mit’votav v’tzivanu lir’dof tzedek.
Praised are You, Eternal God, Sovereign of the universe, who hallows us with Your mitzvot and commands us to pursue justice.
on July 9, 2013
Check out what they’ve been up to! Here are quick recaps from our Trip Leader, Isaac Nuell!
on July 7, 2013
To quote a piece of text from this week’s portion, “These were the marches of the Israelites who started out from the land of Egypt, troop by troop.” Well, these past two weeks have been our march. Starting out from all over the country, step by step, taking part in tikkun olam.
on July 3, 2013
We speak a lot in Jewish circles about “the journey”, that mysterious educational arc that we strive to implement and engage in, the experiences that will shape a lifetime. It happens as the result of trust and commitment, the passion we have for what we do and how it transcends every action, every step we take. For many in the past, present and future, Urban Mitzvah Corps in New Jersey is pivotal stop on this journey.
- Jumping Right In: Immersing in Nicaraguan Culture July 10, 2013
- MC Nicaragua: Mid Trip Update July 11, 2013
- Rice and Beans For Days… NFTY MC Costa Rica! August 7, 2012
- Nicaragua: An Ongoing Obligation October 22, 2014
- Mitzvah Corps: The Power of Community, The Power of Self September 10, 2014
- Connecting to Israel Through NFTY Mitzvah Corps August 28, 2014
- Sandy: Hi Joanna - I was lucky to work with you, Jonah, J...
- Mike Weinberger: Isaac, what accounting of your journey. I was engr...
- Music Is All Around | Divrei Shalom: […] By Joanna Grill Joanna is an active part...
- Great to see Eva from #MCPort14 and speak to @TheRAC L'taken Seminar about @mitzvahcorps this morning! http://t.co/kX8TGYNeTB
- RT @TheRAC: Register today for a @mitzvahcorps Summer 2015 trip! http://t.co/xiBxcSDNv4 http://t.co/Btp5MpSQcJ
- Register today for a @mitzvahcorps Summer 2015 trip! Opportunities in DC, Costa Rica & more: http://t.co/yZNx3CXq67 http://t.co/N7hSZgwj9v
- @mitzvahcorps LOL is there an underwater Mitzvah?