Just like those things, poverty is inherently wrong, and it ends when we become selfless enough to look beyond our own needs. Just like being locked in the bathroom, poverty is a kind of trap. Except your counselors aren’t on the other side of the door playing games with you, and it’s not so easy to get out in the end. It takes a community to break the door of poverty. It takes consistent help, it takes compassion.
on July 18, 2014
on July 17, 2014
The solving of the problem keeps us going as human beings, and even when I finish that cabinet, I am going to have to get working on the next project as soon I am done. That’s just it though, I want to move onto that next piece, because then I know, we are one step closer to the solving of the problem. At Mitzvah Corps we set out change the world, and that’s what I am doing, one cabinet door at a time.
on July 13, 2014
Not only are they immersing themselves in the comunity by working alongside their Nicaraguan peers, and joining the rest of the residents for all-village programming, but they’re also supporting the local economy by designing and purchasing their group t-shirts from the local t-shirt vendor. She happens to be related to the folks who runs the lodge where the group is staying, so our group is really feeling a part of the family!
on July 6, 2014
y working with Green Roots, we were able to provide for people and help them to live the lives every human being both needs and deserves. And actually, being able to be a part of that process was the greatest feeling in the world.
on July 5, 2014
A good week of work under our belts, we are happy to have an opportunity to enjoy July 4th out in Audubon Park, enjoying each other’s company, playing some frisbee, and taking a moment to consider how lucky we are to be here.
We have a truly incredible group of participants this year bringing a diverse array of interests and backgrounds. We can’t wait to see and facilitate all the growth that will continue to happen in the coming weeks.
on June 28, 2014
As we sat, silently in awe of her inspiring story, questions arose.Why did you do it? Why are you not still angry? Are you still fighting? The conversations that ensued led us to begin identifying what we take for granted, and what we are willing to fight for.
on June 26, 2014
By being here and learning about the city of New Orleans, we are making an impact. We are the people making a difference and making the city a better place. I cannot wait to see where the rest of this trip takes us for we will make such a big difference in as little as two weeks. We will learn so much more about the world, and, more importantly, ourselves.
on June 13, 2014
In this stormy world full of war and bigotry, there is an unexpected haven in the middle of the Lower 9th Ward where people come together amidst destruction to rebuild and grow. In the center of the eye of this vortex is an incredibly caring man named Mack, who taught us: “We can’t control disaster, but we can change the way we embrace it.”
on July 11, 2013
Baruch Atah Adonai, Eloheinu Melech ha’olam, asher kid’shanu b’mit’votav v’tzivanu lir’dof tzedek.
Praised are You, Eternal God, Sovereign of the universe, who hallows us with Your mitzvot and commands us to pursue justice.
- Jumping Right In: Immersing in Nicaraguan Culture July 10, 2013
- MC Nicaragua: Mid Trip Update July 11, 2013
- Rice and Beans For Days… NFTY MC Costa Rica! August 7, 2012
- Remembering 9 Lives in Charleston June 29, 2015
- Our Hopes and Fears June 29, 2015
- From New Orleans to Nicaragua in 365 Days June 27, 2015
- Rege McKenzie: Darian, the work you do and the things you feel, a...
- Colleen Murphy: What a wonderful article. Proud to say I know the ...
- Bobby Levenson: Wow. I love that you shared how you bring your pa...
- RT @JewishSpecialEd: Great day teaching #inclusion @URJKutzCamp. The @mitzvahcorps staff of @MDEdelstein421 @jmdrothstein & others are seri…
- Great day teaching #inclusion @URJKutzCamp. The @mitzvahcorps staff of @MDEdelstein421 @jmdrothstein & others are serious rock stars!
- #OnTheBlog Emily connects the 9 lives lost in #Charleston to @mc_neworleans: http://t.co/OLrky5LuuP #MC15 #MCNOLA15 http://t.co/SrtULBkyf2
- RT @URJ: Happy Opening Day to @URJCampKalsman @URJCampGeorge @URJCraneLake @URJEisnerCamp & @URJSciTech6, all open this week! http://t.co/Q…