Reform Jewish Movement Mourns the Deaths of Murdered Israeli Teens
News broke a few hours ago that Israeli officials had discovered the bodies of missing Israeli teens Naftali Frenkel, Gilad Shaar, and Eyal Yifrach. Our hearts are broken by this devastating development.
Reform Movement voices from around the world have expressed their sadness at today’s news. To read statements from various entities within our Movement, click on the links below:
- Union for Reform Judaism (URJ)
- Association of Reform Zionists of America (ARZA)
- Central Conference of American Rabbis Statement (CCAR)
- Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion (HUC-JIR)
- World Union for Progressive Judaism (WUPJ)
Jewish poet Alden Solovy wrote a powerful, painful Yizkor prayer titled “They Were Boys,” which congregations and Jewish communities may want to recite together this Shabbat in addition to Kaddish.
Our thoughts and prayers are with the families of the three murdered teenagers and with all who yearn for peace. Zichronam l’ivracha — may their memories be for a blessing.