At 2pm this afternoon, the House Subcommittee on Military Personnel is having a hearing on Religious Accommodations in the Armed Services. This promises to be a fascinating hearing with a number of interesting people testifying before the committee:
- Mr. Michael Berry, Senior Counsel, Director of Military Affairs, Liberty Institute
- Dr. Ron Crews, Executive Director, Chaplain Alliance for Religious Liberty
- Mr. Rabbi Bruce Kahn, CAPT, CHC, USN (Ret)
- Mr. Travis Weber, Director, Center for Religious Liberty Family Research Council
- Mr. Michael Weinstein, President, Military Religious Freedom Foundation
You can watch the hearing live here.
This hearing comes at an auspicious time, when the Air Force released new regulations regarding religious expression. As we learn more about what the implementations of policy will mean for actual religious freedom and Establishment issues in the Armed Services, we will follow this closely.
In advance of the hearing today, RAC Deputy Director Rachel Laser submitted testimony for the record (I submitted it in-person on her behalf), which is included below: Read more…