Reform Zionism accepts and supports the foundational aim of Zionism: the establishment of a Jewish State in Israel, the homeland of the Jewish people.
Reform Zionism is a continuation of the early Zionist dream to foster a living, breathing national culture that represents the highest ideals of Jewish peoplehood. Foremost among these ideals is for Jews to be free and liberated citizens of the world who also contribute as Jews to our global civilization.
The work of Zionism did not end when the State of Israel was established in 1948. As Reform Zionists, we strive to make the State of Israel a true inheritor of the prophetic tradition of the Jewish people: a nation devoted to pursuing justice and creating a complete world.
Our love for Israel is channeled into efforts that advance the vision of what we believe Israel can – and must – yet be.
We believe that a Jewish state must be a democratic state that celebrates the pluralism of Jewish practice and identity.
We celebrate the notion of k’lal Yisrael, the unity of the Jewish people.
We seek to integrate Jewish tradition into the realities of the modern world, believing in individuals’ right to shape their own Jewish identity and way of life.
We are part of an active, global network of Jews of all ages, united by our love for Israel and our commitment to securing an Israel that fulfills the promise of its founding document:
“THE STATE OF ISRAEL will … foster the development of the country for the benefit of all its inhabitants; it will be based on freedom, justice and peace as envisaged by the prophets of Israel; it will ensure complete equality of social and political rights to all its inhabitants irrespective of religion, race or sex; it will guarantee freedom of religion, conscience, language, education, and culture….”
We advocate for Israel as it should be and as it must become: a society that reflects both democratic values and religious pluralism.
Reform Zionist Organizations
- Arzenu: Arzenu serves as the political voice of Reform, Progressive, and Liberal religious Zionists within the World Zionist Organization and its subsidiaries. Arzenu , which has constituent groups in 14 countries around the world, partners with local constituents to promote Zionist interest and activities in its congregations; represents Reform Jewish values and interests in the governing bodies of the National Institutions of the State of Israel; and uses its political strength in the National Institutions to advocate for Reform Zionist values with the government of Israel.
- ARZA: ARZA, the Association of Reform Zionists, is a member organization of ARZENU and serves as the Israel arm of the North American Reform Jewish Movement (headed by the Union for Reform Judaism). ARZA works to center a connection to Israel in the American Reform community and to strengthen the Reform Movement on the ground in Israel.
- ARZA Canada: ARZA Canada, a member organization of ARZENU, works to connect with Reform communities throughout Canada, foster connections with and strengthen ties to the Reform Movement in Israel, and work to realize the vision of Reform Zionism.
- Israel Movement for Reform and Progressive Judaism: IMPJ seeks to complete the Zionist dream: a modern State of Israel that is inclusive, moral, and a home for us all. Along with its global partners, IMPJ works for the full and equal acceptance of and respect for the Reform Movement – and Reform and Progressive Jews – as a legitimate stream of Judaism by the Israeli government.
- Israel Religious Action Center: IRAC is the public and legal advocacy arm of the Reform Movement in Israel, advancing pluralism in Israeli society and defending the freedoms of conscience, faith and religion. Infusing social justice advocacy with the spiritual energy and humanist worldview of Progressive Judaism, IRAC is the leading Jewish organization advocating for a broadly inclusive Israeli democracy.