Like at so many Jewish summer camps, the Shabbat experience is a highlight for campers and staffers alike at URJ Camp George in Ontario, Canada.
These chocolaty brownies, created by chef Lori Stevenson, help make Shabbat even sweeter. For more than 33 years Lori, a master kosher chef and culinary expert, has ensured that all 500 mouths at camp are fed three times a day, all summer long. Along with her assistant Vicky, Lori whips up extraordinary meals that have everyone coming back for more!
Now you can enjoy her famous brownies at home and think of camp, whether or not you’ve ever experienced Shabbat on Maple Lake.
- Cream sugar, shortening, margarine and salt.
- Slowly add the eggs, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. Add vanilla and water
- In a separate bowl, mix together flour, cocoa power, and baking powder. Add to wet ingredients.
- Pour batter into pan and bake in a preheated oven at 375°F for approximately 30 minutes.
To make the icing:
- Whip butter and cocoa together in large bowl until smooth .
- Stir in vanilla and powdered sugar.
- Stir together until the icing is light, fluffy, and smooth (about 1-2 minutes).
Once the brownies have cooled, ice them and cut into squares. They are best enjoyed with camp friends!
Learn more about URJ Camp George in Ontario, Canada, or find a Reform Jewish summer camp near you.