The beautiful ritual of Havdalah is the ceremony marking the end of Shabbat. Learn more about Havdalah rituals then create your own ritual items to observe Havdalah on your own.
Make the Candle
- 2-3 Hanukkah or birthday candles
- Warm water
- Place the bottom halves of your candles together into the warm water. Leave the candles in the water until the color of the water changes.
- Push the candles together and place the top halves of your candles into the warm water. Leave the candles in the water for a little bit shorter than your previous dunk.
- Push the candles together and start to twist them around each other. You may need to mold them… trial and error are OK!
- If candles are not sticking together, dunk the ends of the candles back into the warm water and mold them into a twisted candle.
- You have a Havdalah candle! Before you light your candle, make sure to add an aluminum foil holder so the wax doesn’t drip on you.
Make the Havdalah Spices
- Spice combination (create your own!)
- 5”x5” fabric square or plastic bag
Try these spice recipes shared by our Cornerstone Fellows:
- Caroline: Orange zest, lemon zest, rosemary, mint
- Gabe: Allspice, pumpkin spice, cinnamon, cumin
- Hailey: Cinnamon stick, cloves, allspice, orange peel
- Lidor: Cinnamon, rosemary, ginger, sage
- McKenzie: Lavender, mint, lemon peel
- Morgan: Nutmeg clove, cinnamon stick, rosemary, black tea, loose leaf tea
- Noble: Star anise pod, cardamom pod, dried lavender, orange peel
- Place the fabric (pretty side down) or bag into the small bowl, lining the inside of the bowl.
- Add all the ingredients into the lined bowl. Smell as you add!
- Bunch the top of the bag together and tie a rubber band around the top so the spices cannot get out of the bag.
- Enjoy your new, original Havdalah spices!
Make the Kiddush Cup
- Aluminum Foil
- Cut a square of aluminum foil.
- Fold one corner of the square into the opposite corner of the square, creating a triangle.
- Lay the triangle down with the triangle pointing “away” from you. Fold the right corner into the middle left side. Fold the left corner into the middle right side.
- Turn the foil so the point is pointing up towards you. Fold each flap back so your foil becomes a trapezoid.
- Open up the pocket and mold the cup to your desired shape.
- Add grape juice or wine and you have a Kiddush cup ready for Havdalah!